Ozone is a gas formed as a result of the combination of 3 oxygen atoms. Ozone, also known as “enriched oxygen” because it is the high-energy form of diatomic normal atmospheric oxygen, helps maintain the biological balance in the biosphere by forming a protective filter mechanism against the high-energy-charged ultraviolet rays emitted by the sun.
Ozone therapy, which has recently become frequently preferred as an aid to routine methods, is applied using ozone, a triatomic and unstable form of oxygen. Although the ozone gas used in the treatment is produced from pure oxygen in medical ozone generators, this produced ozone is always in a mixture with oxygen.
Age-related reactive oxygen species cause oxidative damage to cells. This condition is called increased oxidative stress. In recent studies, it has been shown that the products produced by the administration of low doses of reactive oxygen to the body with ozone application play a role in biological mechanisms, especially intracellular communication, in low amounts (at physiological levels) and mediate therapeutic effects. As a result of repeated low-dose ozone applications, the antioxidant system is strengthened and resistance to oxidative stress develops.
In addition, reactive oxygen species enter the cell and increase cytokine levels that reduce inflammation and increase the production of growth factors. Ozone therapy is used as an auxiliary treatment method, especially in diseases where the inflammatory process is intense and the immune system is at the forefront (wound healing, ischemic, rheumatic and infectious diseases.
It accelerates cell regeneration.
Ozone eliminates oxygen deficiency by increasing the oxygen carrying capacity and elasticity of red blood cells and the fluidity of the blood. It is also applied as an adjunctive treatment in causing enlargement of the veins and in vascular occlusions.
It interacts directly with fat cells and causes a decrease in cholesterol and regional fat destruction.
It lowers blood sugar level.
It reduces the loss of cartilage in calcifications and stimulates the production of intra-articular fluids and cartilage, thereby reducing joint pain and increasing mobility.
FOR WHICH DISEASES OZONE THERAPY IS USED?
● Pain treatment (joint calcifications, joint rheumatism, neck, herniated disc, back pain, fibromyalgia, soft tissue problems, heel spur, tennis elbow, golfer’s elbow)
● Weakness, mental and physical fatigue
● Sleep disorders
● Pressure sores, non-healing wounds of diabetes and gangrene
● Intestinal diseases (Ulcerative Colitis, Fissure, Fistula)
● General immune system failure
● Dizziness (Vertigo)
● Viral diseases such as hepatitis B, hepatitis C
● Resistant urinary tract infections, bacterial and fungal-related vaginal infections
● Rheumatic diseases such as Rheumatoid Arthritis, Systemic Lupus Erythematosus, Chronic Pain Syndrome
● Autoimmune diseases (such as sjögren, hashimato…)
● Some skin diseases (Psoriasis, acne)
● Herpes infections (Herpes, Shingles, Shingles)
● Chronic phase of ischemic heart disease
● Neurological diseases such as Parkinson’s disease, dementia, trigeminal neuralgia, Alzheimer’s disease, headaches and migraine
● Acute and chronic allergies (Seasonal allergies)
● Vascular occlusions
● Metabolism diseases (Diabetes, Thyroid disease, Hypertension)
● Digestive system diseases
● Chronic kidney and lung diseases
● Meniere’s syndrome and tinnitus from ENT diseases
● Calcifications and hernias (waist, neck, knee calcifications)
● Struggle with stress and insomnia after radiation therapy (radiotherapy)
Ozone therapy can also be applied for the following conditions:
● To increase resistance in acute and chronic infections,
● To increase performance in athletes,
● Aesthetic purposes (for melting belly, belly, hip and hip fat and waist thinning, cellulite)
● In order to heal the damage caused by smoking
● As an anti-aging (anti-aging) that ensures the removal of toxins from the body in delaying aging.
WHAT ARE THE BENEFITS OF OZONE THERAPY?
● It increases the body’s resistance against infections by regulating and strengthening the immune system.
● It causes relaxation in the muscles with its ability to remove the toxin accumulated in the muscles; In this way, the relaxed muscles soften and flexibility increases.
● Heals joint pain and muscle discomfort.
● It renews the veins (arteries and veins) and regulates the blood pressure.
● Strengthens brain functions and memory.
● Weakness, reluctance, insomnia, lack of energy, difficulty in focusing, chronic fatigue
It helps to eliminate symptoms such as common muscle aches, depression, anxiety, panic attacks.
● It lowers high blood sugar.
● It lowers high fats (cholesterol, triglyceride).
● By increasing the blood circulation of the skin; provides a new, tight and smooth appearance.
● Increases blood circulation to cells and tissues.
● It cleans the blood and lymph system.
● It normalizes the hormone and enzyme system.
What are the Ozone Therapy Application Methods?
Major Method: It is the most common usage method. With this method, 50-200 ml of blood taken from the person, the number of treatment sessions and the ozone dose to be applied; will depend on the patient’s general condition, age, and underlying disease.
Minor Method: 2-5 cc of blood taken from the person is mixed with ozone at a determined dose and injected into the person.
Giving Ozone to Body Cavities: Ozone is given to the person by spraying method through rectal – rectal, vaginal and ear canal.
Giving ozone gas into the joint and muscle: In Musculoskeletal System disorders, a certain dose of ozone gas is injected into the joints of the person and the painful area in the muscles with an appropriate needle.
Ozone bag: It is used in non-healing wounds and diabetic feet, skin lesions, infections, circulatory disorders, neuropathic pain and restless legs syndrome.
Ozone cup: It is used especially in pressure sores.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS ABOUT OZONE THERAPY
WHO IS OZONE THERAPY NOT SUITABLE FOR?
There are very few cases where ozone therapy cannot be applied. It is possible to apply ozone therapy for every condition except the first trimester of pregnancy, the period when hyperthyroidism is not under control, blood coagulation disorder and Glucose-6-Phosphate Dehydrogenase enzyme deficiency.
IS OZONE HARMFUL TO HEALTH?
Ozone gas, which is supplied from the air we breathe or pure oxygen, turns into oxygen, which is its raw material, although it fulfills its duty due to its unstable nature. Since ozone gas is also a natural disinfectant that does not leave any residue, it does not pose any health problems unless it is constantly inhaled.
HOW LONG DOES OZONE THERAPY EFFECT?
In ozone therapy, the ideal treatment process is usually completed in 12-15 sessions, although the dose and application frequency to be determined by the physician depending on the disease vary. In addition, after the ozone treatment process is completed, patients can continue their daily activities.